The Older I Get, The More I Question: How To Get Motivated…
The biz project that needs organized, the bathroom that needs cleaned, the laundry….don’t even say the L word!
Seriously, I even procrastinated writing this damn blog post!
Isn’t this behavior supposed to be normal for teenagers….not adults?
Pshshshshsh think again!
Whether the cause is physical or mental:
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Lack of self-discipline
- Lack of self-esteem
Having a lack of motivation affects your well-being and ability to succeed in life!
So what CAN we do to get motivated?
Easy…start working out regularly….BAH!
I don’t know how many times I have heard this as the answer to so many problems. We all know exercise would help us tremendously but do you really think someone with trouble getting motivated is going to suddenly start working out regularly?
So here are a couple tricks I have used to get my arse in gear!
- If there is a specific task that needs to be done like cleaning or running errands, I convince myself to just START it for one minute (or go out to run one errand).
- Break the task up into tiny pieces and focus on only the first step.
- Most of the procrastination and lack of motivation is caused by our own minds psyching us out. We start to think about everything that needs to be done and we become frozen with overwhelm.
- Instead, fill your mind with ONE simple part of the task and go do it. Nine times out of ten, once you get started you won’t want to stop until it’s finished. (If you do, that’s fine….do a part of it again later in the day or the next day! Check out this post to find out how I use a todo list, dump list & routine rather than schedule to get things done)
- EX. In order to clean the bathroom, just tell yourself to go in there and wipe down the sink.
- Why does this work? Because the hardest part is actually taking the first step/taking action. Once your over this hump…..it’s smooth sailin 😉
- If your task is something larger…..like a business project, place an image in your mind of how you will feel once it’s done. Picture yourself lounging on the couch feeling relieved or maybe your boss giving you a high five.
- What are you wearing in this mental image?
- Are you eating anything?
- What are the other people in the image doing?
- Are you listening to music or hearing anything in the background?
- What will you do next in the image?
- Get really into it for just a few minutes. Then, do the first step and pick a very small task to start. You can even do this visualization technique with the above type tasks as well!
- Why does this work? Because you create your own reality from your thoughts, feelings and actions. Thoughts become feelings and feelings cause actions (or lack there of). Once you focus on the positive outcomes rather than the negative tasks….your entire mind, body and soul will move towards bringing that vision to life! AKA you will become motivated! =D
If you’re interested in one on one coaching that will truly change your life forever…. check out my Transformation Program. I use psychology based techniques to help you create new, lifelong habits!
To makin shit happen 😉