Are you asking yourself when the sleepless nights will be a fading memory? Welcome to the mommy zombie club! Find out what you can do to help baby sleep.
Mom’s Gone CrayCray!
I feel ya! At 8months, my son STILL woke up 2-4 times a night. Tack 8 months onto the lack of sleep I experienced while pregnant and I was lookin at about 1-1/2 years without a good nights sleep! I was forgetting EVERYTHING everywhere. Putting the remote in the fridge, my phone in the closet…
Now that I think about it…..not ONCE did I remember everything we needed for baby during our outings. Can lack of sleep take off years of your life? Well….that’s a whole other conversation.
Call In Facebook Help!
After racking my brain trying to figure out why he was waking up so many times and how I could help him sleep better, I decided to do what everyone else does when they need help…I reached out to my facebook friends…
Why Wont My Baby Sleep Through The Night?
“Help! Will I ever sleep again?” And (because my friends are pure awesomeness) I had a ton of great advice pour in!
- Try placing some distance between you and baby at night so he doesn’t smell you or your milk
- Introduce a “lovey” blanket or stuffed animal
- Try to up your supply with lots of water and mother’s milk tea
- Try a white noise machine
- Try cosleeping
- Use a sleep wedge under baby’s mattress to create an incline incase of reflux pain
- Pump and introduce formula very slowly in a breast milk bottle
- Try the cry it out approach
- Give a lavender bath before bed
- Give a massage before bed
- Spray mattress with lavender
- Place lavender on baby’s feet
- Feed baby some cereal right before bed
- Add cereal to a bottle right before bed
- Use a diffuser
- Make sure to engage with baby a lot during playtime
- Hang in there! =/
What’s Right For Your Baby?
Depending on why your baby is waking up, what kind of parenting style you choose and what works best for your child……all of these tips can be helpful! So what worked for me?
The Hungry Baby
Since my son would cry until I fed him (full feeding sessions) at night, I knew the issue wasn’t learning to self soothe, needing security or more stimulation during the day……it was food! I just wasn’t making enough milk for this growing chunky monkey!
He also decided only breast milk was good enough for him! Fortunately, I ended up finding a formula that he would FINALLY accept. If your breast fed baby is super picky about formula, check out my post about what worked for us!
I started giving him a 5 oz bottle right before bed with 2-1/2 tsp of single grain, infant oatmeal added. I would also mix in some breast milk or nurse afterwards depending on what I had available.
The Angels Sang!
The first time I tried it, he slept 12 hours! From that day on hes been sleeping between 8-12 hours every night. I also began preparing bottles for him throughout the day to make sure he was getting enough liquids.
I began a pattern of nursing as soon as he woke up, then solids, then bottle. I have switched from “Why wont my baby sleep through the night?” to “Why am I still waking up in the middle of the night!?” 😉
Don’t hesitate to send me a friend request and chat on Facebook! I love meeting with other women to chat about their health, parenting, personal and/or business goals!